Skill Level: Beginner
Finished Size: Approx. 2”
Designer: Tracy Proctor
Download the Alyx Beaded Earrings PDF
Inspired by: Bric n Border Earrings by Alyx Thomasin
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for Jump Rings and Brick Stitch).
Tip: Use your fingers to gently open the hook or pinch it closed as needed before beginning beading. Keep thread tension firm and beads nestled close together throughout. Optional: At Step 9 repeat thread pattern back to beginning to reinforce before weaving in and knotting thread ends.
1. Thread a needle with 25-30" of beading thread. Leaving a 4" tail, secure the thread to the hook with a double overhand knot next to the ball at the tip of the hook. (Fig 1)
2. Pick up two seed beads and bring the beads down the thread to the outside edge of the hook. Bring the 4” tail thread up through the first bead. Pull the working thread and the tail apart and the knot will hide inside the bead. (Fig 2)
3. Pass the needle around the hook and back up though the second bead added in Step 2 so that both seed beads rest on the outside edge of the hook. Pull tight. (Fig 3)
4. Pick up one seed bead. (Fig 4)
5. Bring needle around hook and back up through bead. Pull tight, snugging the bead up next to the others. (Fig 5)
6. Pick up one Size 8 Beaded Seed Bead and repeat Step 5. (Fig 6)
7. Repeat Steps 4-5 three times, adding 3 seed beads, and repeat Step 6 once, adding one Beaded Seed Bead. (Fig 7)
8. Repeat Step 7 three times, omitting the Beaded Seed Bead in the last repetition. (Fig 8)
9. Weaving in working thread: After adding the last bead, bring your needle back through the second-to-last bead added in Step 8. Loop around the hook, pass needle beneath the thread below the same bead and make a half-hitch knot, then come back up through the bead. Repeat this once more with the bead next to it. (Fig 9)
10. Remove needle and thread it onto the tail from Step 1. Repeat Step 9 to weave in the tail.
11. Snip or burn the tail and working thread.
12. Open the loop on one ear wire and attach to top of hook.
13. Repeat Steps 1 through 12 to create second earring.