Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for videos on jump rings and crimping with barrel beads).
Tip: Change up the design by using just one color cord, or by varying the lengths of the cords.
- Cut two 10” strands of each of three colors of cord.
- Pick up one strand of each color cord and thread all three through the shank of one button. Position cords and button so cords are folded in half. (Hint: if threading becomes difficult because of fraying, try coating the cord ends very lightly with super glue.)
- Thread one barrel bead over all the strands and push bead up to just beneath the button.
- Use chain nose pliers to crimp, or squeeze, the barrel bead to hold all the strands securely.
- Choose a grouping of 2 – 4 Heishi and wood beads and string the group onto one cord, followed by a crimp bead.
- Slide all beads to desired position on cord, then use chain nose pliers to squeeze crimp bead to secure them in place.
- Repeat Step 6 for all six cords, varying the positions of the beads as desired.
- Open one 8mm jump ring and attach it to the button shank above the cord strands. Before closing jump ring, slip on an ear wire, then close jump ring. (Hint: use beading awl to make space for jump ring if necessary.)
- Repeat Steps 2-8 for second earring.