Watch our technique videos playlist on YouTube (look for videos on sliding knots and simple loops).
Techniques: metal bending, hole punching, knotting
Tip: For best sliding knot results, don’t let loops overlap.
- String 6mm gemstone bead, Western Bead and 4mm gemstone bead onto headpin. At top of last bead bend wire over at right angle. Trim wire to 3/8”. Form simple loop. Set aside.
- Use sharpie to make a centered mark 1/8-3/16” from tip of feather.
- Use hole punching tool to carefully punch a hole where marked, making sure to position punch so that edge of hole will not be less than 1/8” from tip of feather.
- Use bracelet bending pliers to gently curve feather. Begin at loop end and work slowly toward other end. Option: If you don’t have bracelet bending pliers, curve feather by pressing it around a bracelet mandrel.
- Thread one piece of cord 2” through loop of feather. Wrap short cord end around long end once and tie an overhand knot. (Fig 1) Tighten securely and apply small drop of glue to knot. Let dry, then trim excess cord.
- Repeat Step 5 with second piece of cord at other end of feather.
- Overlap cords to create the loop of the bracelet. Adjust size so loop just fits over widest part of hand. The cord ends are now the “working” cords, and the looped cord is the “bottom” cord.
- At center of loop just to one side of the overlap, position both cords so that working cord is on top. Fold working cord back onto itself. (Fig 2)
- Grasp fold and bottom cord in one hand. Bring loose end of working cord behind other cords and wrap 2-3 times around (not too tight), looping away from fold. (Fig 3)
- After final loop bring end towards you, then thread back through all loops including original loop created by fold. (Fig 3) Tighten by carefully pulling working tail, keeping knot near center of bracelet loop. Adjust knot until secure but loose enough to slide.
- Repeat Steps 8-10 with other end to create a second sliding knot right next to first one.
- Trim excess cord at each end leaving ¼” tails.
- To tighten bracelet slide knots away from each other towards feather.
- Pick up bead dangle and open simple loop. Attach to loop of feather. Close loop.