Design Inspiration Supplies
- 1 Lotus Magnetic Clasp Set (94-6234-26)
- 1 Hamsa Hand Link (94-3217-26)
- 1 2" 21g Eyepin (01-0027-09)
- 3 2" 24g Headpin (01-0029-09)
- 2 8mm Round Jump Ring (01-0026-09)
- 6 Oval Jump ring 20 Gauge 4x3mm ID (01-0018-09)
- 2 Oval Jump Ring 20 Gauge 3x2mm ID (01-0016-09)
- 81 7x5mm rondelle bone beads,
- 2 20mm top drilled natural crystal spikes
- 1 16x23mm jasper flat nugget bead
- Misc. 4-15mm gemstone and seed beads
- 12" 24ga craft wire, brass
- 1 skein gray embroidery floss
- clear fabric glue
- big-eye needle
- wire cutters
- round nose plielrs
- chain nose pliers
- 3" piece of card board
Skill Level: Intermediate
Finished Size: Necklace 25”, Pendant 4 1/2"
Designer: Katie Hill
Watch our technique videos playlist on YouTube (look for videos on jump rings, wrapped loops, and simple loops).
- Pre-stretch the embroidery floss before stringing and knotting so your necklace doesn't stretch.
- Tie your knots so they don't slip through the bead holes. If they are too small, tie a second knot on top of the first to add bulk.
- Some people find it easier to tie the knots by tightening them around a T-pin.
- Cut 6' of embroidery floss. Fold in half and pass the fold through one closed 4x3mm jump ring. Pass the ends of the floss through the loop formed by the fold and tighten to form a lark’s head knot. Tie several overhand knots to secure. Place the big-eye needle on the loose floss ends.
- String 1 bone bead. Tie a knot close to the bead to hold it in place. Repeat eighty times.
- Tie the end of the floss to one 4x3mm jump ring.
- Connect the jumpring at one end of the beaded strand to 1 half of the clasp. Connect the jump ring at the other end of the beaded strand to 1 round 8mm jumpring.
- Add a small amount of glue to the knots at each end of the beaded strand, taking care to not let the glue touch the metal. Let dry.
- Use one 4x3mm jump ring to connect the other half of the clasp to the round 8mm jump ring just placed. Set aside.
- Use the eyepin to string the jasper nugget bead. Use round-nose pliers to form a large simple loop to secure the bead. Attach the smaller end of the eye pin to the 8mm jump ring just placed. Set aside.
- Cut 6" of 24-gauge wire. String 1 natural crystal spike and slide it to the center. Bend the ends up toward the top of the spike. Use round-nose pliers to form a wrapped loop that incorporates both ends of the wire to form a crystal spike dangle. Set aside. Repeat this step.
- Use 1 head pin to string a 5/8" length of miscellaneous gemstone and seed beads in a pleasing combination. Use round-nose pliers to form a simple loop to secure the beads. Trim any excess wire. Set the beaded dangle aside. Repeat this step. Repeat again to form a 1 3/8" beaded dangle.
- Wrap the embroidery floss around the cardboard 30 times. Cut the floss at the edge of the cardboard. Pass the floss pieces through 1 round 8mm jump ring; move the jump ring to the center of the floss pieces. Wrap an 8" length of floss around the floss pieces, close to the jump ring. Tie a knot to secure. Add a small amount of glue to the knot; let dry. Set the tassel aside.
- Use one 3x2mm jump ring to connect 1 crystal spike dangle to the first hole of the hamsa charm. Use one 4x3mm jump ring to connect a 5/8" dangle to the second hole of the hamsa charm. Use one 4x3mm jump ring to connect the 1 3/8" dangle to the third hole of the hamsa charm. Use one 4x3mm jump ring to connect a 5/8" dangle to the fourth hole of the hamsa charm. Use one 3x2mm jump ring to connect 1 crystal spike dangle to the fifth hole of the hamsa charm.
- Connect the hamsa charm and tassel to the larger loop of the jasper nugget bead link.