- 1 Buddha Pendant (94-2565-12)
- 1 Lotus Guru Bead (94-5814-12)
- 1 Vine Hook & Eye Clasp (94-6106-12)
- 1 Leather Strap ½”x10” Copper (21-0010-19)
- 4 Eyelet w/ 3.7mm Stem (01-0080-11)
- 7 Round Jump Ring 4mm (01-0024-01)
- 2 Crimp Bead 2x2mm (01-0030-11)
- 4 Round Bead 2mm (93-0102-00) or size 11 round seed beads
- 24 8mm Faceted round gemstone beads (Red Jasper shown)
- C-Lon .5mm or preferred cord
- 1 Eyelet Setter and Anvil (79-0102-00)
- rotary hole punching pliers
- rotary cutter and cutting mat (optional)
- ruler (preferably clear acrylic quilting ruler)
- needle nosed tweezers or T-pin
- chain and/or flat nose pliers
- pencil or pen
- brush on super glue (optional)
Skill Level: Beginner-Intermediate
Finished Size: Approx. 33"
Designer: Tracy Proctor
Download the Leather & Gemstone Buddha Necklace PDF
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for Jump Rings and Eyelet Setting).
Tip: Knotting: Pre-stretch cord before stringing and knotting. If a single overhand knot is too small and slips through bead holes, tie a second knot on top of the first to add bulk. Some find it easier to tie the knots by tightening them around a T-pin or needle nose tweezers*.
- Split leather strap into two 1/4"x10" pieces: use pen or pencil to make a series of marks down the center on the back side of the strap. Using scissors or rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat carefully cut in half lengthwise.
- On one piece make a centered mark 1/8" from one end.
- Using smallest setting on hole punching pliers make a hole where marked.
- Insert one eyelet from top of strap down through hole.
- Turn strap and eyelet upside down and place eyelet flange onto anvil.
- Position setter into end of eyelet and tap with hammer until set (see setter instructions).
- Repeat Steps 2-6 at other end and on both ends of second piece.
- Attach one jump ring to each eyelet, closing securely.
- Cut 3' of cord. Brush a tiny amount of super glue onto one end of cord, allow to dry, then use scissors to trim cord at an angle. (optional)
- String one crimp bead onto cord, then thread cord through jump ring at end of one strap and back through crimp bead. Adjust to form small (1/8") loop then use chain nose pliers to flatten crimp onto cords leaving a 2" tail. Tie an overhand knot in tail and tighten right next to crimp*. Trim excess cord. (Optional: add a tiny drop of glue to knot.)
- String one gemstone bead onto cord, slide it up to crimp, then tie an overhand knot right next to bead. Tighten securely.
- String one gemstone bead, sliding it up to previous bead, then repeat knotting process.
- Repeat Step 12 ten times.
- String 4 2mm beads or seed beads onto cord, then string guru bead to cover 2mm beads. Tie a knot after guru bead.
- Repeat Step 12 twelve times.
- Repeat Step 10 being sure to face second strap the same direction as the first, and adjusting cord to take up any slack before securing crimp.
- Open one jump ring and attach pendant to guru bead. Close jump ring.
- Use one jump ring to attach clasp hook at one end of necklace.
- Use one jump to attach clasp eye at other end of necklace.