This project uses the Square Knot Macramé technique. Watch our Colorful Macramé Bracelet tutorial on YouTube for the basics of this technique.
Tip: This design also makes a great bracelet. Just adjust the lengths of the knotted sections at both sides as desired.
- Cut one 18" and two 60" strands of cord.
- Thread one end of the 18" strand through the button shank and knot to secure. Add small amount of adhesive to knot and trim excess cord.
- Anchor button to clip board or knotting board. String "one 4mm melon bead, one seed bead, one cowrie shell bead, one seed bead and one melon bead* onto the cord. Repeat * through * twice more.
- Pull cord straight and use tape to anchor strand at bottom of board. This is your "filler cord". Slide all beads to bottom near tape.
- Align the two 60" strands of cord together. (This project uses two strands together for extra thickness.) These are the "knotting cords". Tie the two strands together at one end with an overhand knot. Repeat at other end.
- At the top of the filler cord just underneath button secure the knotting cords to the filler cord with an overhand knot.
- Using the square knot macramé technique, tie knots to a 1 3/4" length.
- Slide one melon bead up to knots, then tie one knot. Slide seed bead up to knots, then tie one knot. Continue process to add cowrie shell bead, one more seed bead and one more melon bead.
- Tie five knots. Repeat Step 8 twice more.
- Repeat Step 7.
- Apply a small amount of adhesive to the final knot. Allow to dry and trim cord ends close to knot.
- Remove tape from filler strand. Make a loop just under the knots big enough for the button to fit through. Knot securely. Add a small amount of adhesive to knot and allow to dry. Trim cord end close to knot.