- 2 Dome Earring Post (94-1000-25)
- 2 Marrakesh Crimp End (94-3229-26)
- 2 Charm Keeper Hoop 20mm (01-0400-25)
- 4 Oval Jump Ring 20ga 4x3mm (01-0018-09)
- 42-44 3mm round or rondelle glass or gemstone beads
- Embroidery floss or preferred tassel material
- 24ga craft wire, gold
- 18ga craft wire
- 1"x3" card for wrapping tassel
- E6000 or preferred adhesive
- wire cutters
- chain and/or flat nose pliers (2)
- round nose pliers
Skill Level: Beginner
Finished Size: Approx. 3”
Designer: Kierston Aiello
Download the Marrakesh Fan Earrings PDF
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for Jump Rings).
Tip: The Marrakesh Crimp Ends are two-sided! Remember to choose which side will face the front of your earrings when attaching the posts.
- Fan Tassel: Cut one 2" piece of 18 gauge craft wire. Use round nose pliers to form a triangle jump ring about 3/8" long on the two bottom sides and 3/8"-1/2" on the top/open side. Leave a tail on one side of the opening. The triangle should fit inside crimp end with room at the edges for the tassel knots. (Fig 1) Repeat.
- Cut a 4" piece of embroidery floss. Set aside.
- Pick up card. Holding horizontally, begin at bottom of card and wrap embroidery floss around 8 times (or more as desired), ending at bottom. Set on work surface. Thread tail of one triangle jump ring underneath top of tassel and slide it around to the 3rd angle. (Fig 2)
- Slide tassel and jump ring off card. Slide 4" piece of floss underneath all strands, bring ends together, and secure with a square knot just underneath wire. Trim excess thread. (Fig 3)
- Repeat Steps 2-4 six times or until bottom two sides of triangle are filled. Trim wire tail.
- Insert tips of chain nose plier jaws into one crimp end and open just wide enough to accomodate tassel fan.
- Apply a thin layer of adhesive to inside surfaces of crimp end. Insert tassel fan. Use fingers or pliers to gently close crimp end. Allow to dry,
- Repeat Steps 2-7.
- Hoop: Cut a 10" length of 24ga wire. Anchor it to the top of one hoop by wrapping it snugly twice next to the neck. Leave a short tail so you can hold the wire as you wrap.
- Lash on the beads by stringing on one bead and sliding it down the wire so it sits on the outside edge of the hoop. Wrap the wire again twice around hoop right next to bead.
- Repeat Step 10 twenty more times until you reach the top of the other side.
- Finish by wrapping wire snugly twice around hoop right next to neck. Trim both tails and tuck against the hoop with chain nose pliers.
- Repeat Steps 9-12.
- Assemble: Pick up one hoop and separate the two bottom-center beads slightly. Open one jump ring and attach tassel fan at bottom center. Close jump ring.
- Open one jump ring and attach loop of earring post. Close jump ring.
- Repeat Steps 14 and 15.
- Use scissors to trim and shape tassels as necessary. Use pin or sharp nose tweezers to "fluff" tassel as desired.