1 Classic Clasp Set (94-6045-26)
1 Sea Star Charm (94-2232-26)
1 Tiny Sea Star Charm (94-2551-26)
2 3 Hole End Bar (94-3168-25)
9 Oval Jump Ring 4x3mm ID 18ga (01-0018-09)
4 Round Jump Ring 5mm ID 16ga (01-0020-09)
2-3 Round Jump Ring 4mm ID 20ga (01-0024-09)
2 Oval Jump Ring 3x2mm ID 20ga (01-0016-09)
20-21” Brass Curb Chain 2.5mm (20-1825-25)
1 25mm Mother of Pearl disc pendant, drilled (1 or 2 hole)
12” Sari silk, white/gold/cream
1 Strand (50 beads) Pinch Beads, 5x3mm (Alabaster Pastel Cream)
22ga Craft Wire
B-lon Nylon Cord, white
- Super glue
- Chain and/or flat nose pliers (2)
- Wire cutters
- Sharp nose tweezers
- Measuring tool
Skill Level: Intermediate
Finished Size: Approx. 24”
Designer: Tracy Gonzales
Download the Sea Star Tide Pool Necklace PDF
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for Jump Rings).
Tip: This project features bead knotting (aka pearl knotting). We do not have a tutorial in the archives, but a search for "pearl knotting tutorial" will bring up many resources. If you prefer not to knot, try stringing a size 11 seed bead between the pinch beads as an alternative.
- Close two 4x3mm jump rings securely,
- Cut a 36" piece of nylon cord. Pre stretch by pulling firmly from both ends a few times.
- Thread one end of the cord through one of the closed 4x3mm jump rings and knot to secure. Apply a tiny amount of glue to knot and allow to dry. Trim excess cord as needed.
- Apply a light coat of glue to about 1/2" of the other end of cord. Allow to dry.
- String on one pinch bead. Begin to tie an overhand knot in the cord next to the bead. Before tightening insert tip of tweezers through the loose knot and grasp cord right next to bead. Keep tweezers in place while tightening knot. removing them and using them to nudge knot close to bead for final tightening.
- Repeat Step 5 48 times.
- String final bead, then repeat Step 3.
- Cut sari silk into two 6" pieces. Cut two 3" pieces of craft wire. Set aside.
- Open one round 5mm jump ring and attach to jump ring placed in Step 7. Close jump ring.
- Thread about 1" of one piece of sari silk through jump ring placed in Step 9. Fold short end over and secure by wrapping 3-4 times with one piece of craft wire. Trim and tuck wire ends. Close a second round jump ring and repeat at the other end of the sari silk, pulling silk through until finished strand including round jump rings measures approx. 5".
- Repeat Step 10 at other end of knotted strand.
- Open one 4x3mm jump ring and attach to one end of the finished strand. Before closing attach to an outer hole of one end bar. Close jump ring. Use second jump ring to attach chain to the opposite end bar hole.
- Repeat Step 12 at other end.
- Use one 4x3mm jump ring to attach clasp ring to one end bar. Use two 4x3mm jump rings to attach clasp bar at other end.
- Use one or two round 4mm jump rings to attach mother of pearl disc to center of beaded strand.
- Attach one round 4mm jump ring to jump ring(s) placed in Step 15.
- Use one 3x2mm jump ring to attach one sea star charm to jump ring placed in Step 16. Repeat with second charm.