- 2 Hammertone Earring Posts (94-1084-40)
- 2 Hammertone 1/2" Ring (94-3086-40)
- 2 Hammertone 3/4" Ring (94-3087-40)
- 2 Hammertone 1" Ring (94-3085-40)
- 2 Hammertone 6mm Bead Cap (94-5661-40)
- 2 Head Pin 22ga 2" (01-0036-01)
- 2 Oval Jump Ring 4x3mm ID (01-0018-70)
- 2 Pink Crazy Lace Agate 10x14mm Oval Bead
- flush cutters
- chain nose pliers
- round nose pliers
- flat nose or nylon jaw flat nose pliers
- half-round and flat nylon jaw forming pliers
- jeweler's saw
- 1/0-2/0 jeweler's saw blade
- Kierston's recommended supplies for basic metalsmithing include: bench pin, C-clamp (if bench pin doesn't have attached anvil), surface to clamp on (desk or workbench), saw frame and blades
Skill Level: Beginner-Intermediate (basic metalsmithing experience recommended)
Finished Size: Approx. 3"
Designer: Tracy Proctor
Download the Interlocked Rings Earrings PDF
Watch our technique videos TierraCast Blog (look for Simple Loops and Jump Rings).
Tip: Open and close the sawed rings as you would a jump ring: twist cut ends back and forth past each other a few times while pushing the ends slightly towards each other. With the final pass a slight click as they line up ensures a snug close!
- String 1 gemstone bead and 1 bead cap onto 1 head pin. (Optional: use flat nose or nylon jaw flat nose pliers to squeeze cap edges down to fit over top of bead.) Bend wire over at top of cap. Trim wire to about 1/2", then use round nose pliers to form large simple loop. Repeat with second head pin, bead and cap. Set aside.
- Use half-round and flat nylon jaw forming pliers to create curves in all of the hammertone rings: squeeze pliers firmly onto one part of ring, then flip pliers over and squeeze again next to first curve. Repeat all the way around ring.
- Use saw to make one cut through both 3/4" rings.
- Open 1 jump ring and attach 1 earring post to one 1/2" ring. Close jump ring.
- Open 3/4" ring and attach to 1/2" ring placed in Step 4. Before closing attach one 1" ring. Close ring. (See Tip)
- Open loop at top of 1 bead dangle and attach to 1" ring placed in Step 5. Close loop.
- Repeat Steps 4-6 for second earring.