- 1 Small Spindle Shell Charm (94-2234-26)
9 Tiny Sea Star Charm (94-2551-26)
21 Oval Jump Ring 20 Gauge 3x2mm ID (01-0016-09)
9 Head Pin 21 gauge 2” (01-0028-09)
2” Brass Cable Chain 5x6mm (20-0825-26)
16” Brass Cable Chain 1.25mm (20-1625-63)
1 Lobster Clasp 12x7mm (01-0110-25)
9 Melon beads, 5mm
- Chain and/or flat nose pliers (2)
- Round nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Beading awl
Skill Level: Intermediate
Finished Size: Adjustable 18-20”
Designer: Kierston Aiello
Download the Galaxy of Sea Stars Necklace PDF
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for Jump Rings and Simple Loops).
Tip: Use the beading awl to gently open and round the end links of your chain pieces for easier attachment of jump rings. Just insert the awl into an end link and use thumbnails to push link down gently but firmly.
- String one melon bead onto one head pin. Bend wire over at right angle just above bead. Trim to 3/8" and form simple loop. Repeat 8 times. Set aside.
- Cut two 4" pieces of 1.25mm chain.
- Cut eight 1" pieces of 1.25mm chain.
- Use awl to round the end links of all pieces of chain.
- Open one jump ring and attach the 2" piece of 5x6mm chain to one 4" piece of chain. Close jump ring.
- Open one jump ring and attach end link of 4" piece of chain placed in Step 5 and one 1" piece of chain. Close jump ring.
- Open one jump ring and attach end link of 1" piece of chain placed in Step 6 and one more 1" piece of chain.
- Repeat Step 7 six times.
- Open one jump ring and attach end link of final 1" piece of chain placed in Step 8 and second 4" piece of chain.
- Spread assembled chain out on work surface. Pick up one bead dangle. Open loop and attach to one jump ring on chain. Close loop. Use one jump ring to attach one sea star charm next to bead dangle. Repeat with remaining bead dangles and charms.
- Use one jump ring to attach lobster clasp at one end of necklace.
- Use one jump ring to attach shell charm to end of extender chain.