- 2 French Hook Ear Wire w/ Small Loop, 14/20 Gold Filled (90-3110-01)
- 2 Hammertone 16mm Cone (94-5854-18)
- Size 11 (11/0) seed beads in ten colors and white
- Size 6 (6/0) seed beads in clear
- 20ga craft wire, gold or brass
- Hypo cement or adhesive of choice
- Braided beading thread, 2 or 4 lb, or preferred beading thread.
- Beading needle
- Thread cutters
- Chain nose pliers
- Round nose pliers
- Wire cutters
Skill Level: Intermediate
Finished Size: Approx. 6”
Designer: Kari Messerschmidt, Mile High Beads
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for video on wrapped loops).
Tip: When tying the strands together, use the pearl knotting technique with sharp tweezers to secure the knot close to the beads.
- Arrange your bead palette from light to dark.
- Cut one 16” strand of thread.
- Thread needle, then pick up 5 white beads, one of next shade in palette, one white, one next shade, and one white. (5 A, 1 B, 1 A, 1 B, 1 A)
- Repeat pattern of 5 A, 1 B, 1 A, 1 B, 1 A with the second shade used in Step 3 and the next shade in your palette.
- Repeat Step 4 through all shades of beads.
- Move beads so that last bead strung is at center of thread.
- Skipping last bead pass needle back through all beads. Adjust thread to take up slack.
- Remove needle. Set strand aside.
- Repeat Steps 2-8 eight more times, adding 3 more white beads at the beginning of each strand to graduate the colors and strand lengths.
- Carefully gather all strands together, making sure to take up all the slack.
- Twist entire length of threads together securely at top of beads and carefully tie an overhand knot right next to beads.
- Add drop of glue to knot. Allow to dry. Trim excess thread.
- Cut one 4” piece of craft wire. Curve wire up about 1 ½” from one end to form a hook.
- Thread hook underneath knot, then secure above knot by wrapping short wire end around long end once. Trim excess.
- Thread long end of wire up through bottom of one cone, pulling tassel securely into cone. String on one 6/0 bead and one 11/0 bead in a light shade. Bend wire over at top and use round nose pliers to form a wrapped loop. Trim excess wire.
- Open loop on one ear wire and attach to loop at top of one tassel.
- Repeat Steps 2-16 for second earring.