- 2 Dome 8mm Earring Post (94-1000-40)
- 2 Beaded Bezel Drop (94-2426-40)
- 2 Eyelet 3.7mm (01-0080-11)
- 1 Leather Strap 10x1/2”, Copper (21-0010-19)
- 2 Round Jump Ring 18G 8mm ID (01-0026-01
- 2 Round 2088 Crystal Flatback, SS34 (Rose shown)
- 1 Eyelet Setter & Anvil (79-0102-00) Optional
- small scissors
- bench block
- rotary leather hole punching pliers
- pen, or white chalk or charcoal pencil
- E 6000 jewelry adhesive
Skill Level: Beginner-intermediate
Finished Size: Variable
Designer: Tracy Proctor
Download the Leather Feather Earrings PDF
Watch the Demo Video: Cold Connection Jewelry Making Demo
Watch our technique videos on the TierraCast Blog (look for Eyelet Setting Tutorial)
Tip: The eyelet setter and anvil is optional for this project. The eyelets can also be set by hammering directly onto the tube using the ball peen side of a hammer. Hammer straight and gently until the tube is flared evenly all the way around and flush with the leather. For design use chalk/charcoal pencil to draw design or cut freehand.
- Use a toothpick to apply a 2-3mm bead of adhesive into one bezel. Place one flatback crystal into bezel and press down. Repeat with second bezel and crystal. Allow to dry.
- Cut one 2" piece of leather.
- Cut design: begin by trimming the top end to a shallow point - 1/8" down side up to center.
- Rotate piece and repeat at bottom end, cutting a longer point - 3/8" down side up to center.
- Cut three notches on each side starting about 1/2" from bottom point and spacing about 1/2" apart.
- Using the smallest (2mm) setting on the leather hole punching pliers make a hole centered about 1/8" from top of shallow point.
- From the top side of the leather insert one eyelet through hole.
- Flip over and place eyelet flange onto recessed area of eyelet anvil. (Alternatively, place flange side down on bench block.)
- Insert eyelet setter into top of eyelet tube and hammer until set. Begin slowly, rotating setter slightly to flare the eyelet evenly. (Alternatively, set with ball peen side of hammer.)
- Open one jump ring and thread through eyelet from the back. Before closing add one bezel charm and one earring post. Close jump ring.
- Repeat Steps 2-10 for second earring.
FUN IDEA! Try painting with textile paint. Shown: Jacquard Lumiere Paint